To all visitors: Kalvos & Damian is now a historical site reflecting nonpop|
from 1995-2005. No updates have been made since a special program in 2015.
Chronicle of the NonPop Revolution
261 Groovers Avenue
Black Rock, CT. 06605-3452 USA
voice: 203-367-7917 fax: 203-333-0603
Back to Joseph Celli Home Page
- QUINTET For kayagum, WX-7 and three kalimba. (1995/Kennedy Center, Washington, DC)
- SUNNY'S PIECE Music For Dance with double reeds, komungo, percussion (1994/Rond-Pointe Theatre, Paris)
- PINK PELVIS Music For Dance for double reeds, Korean ajeng & Brazilian percussion (1994/Lotus Art Center/NYC)
- WORLD SOUNDPRINT: Asia for radio with Jin Hi Kim (1993/American Public Radio)
- REEDS for SAN FRANCISCO for reeds & tape (1978/93/SEM Ensemble, NYC)
- VIDEO SAX for sopranino saxophone & 5 channels of video (1993/Berlin)
- KWANGJU for piri, komungo, oboe & Korean drummers (1992/MPC-TV, Korea)
- 36 STRINGS for komungo & 4 channels of video (1992/Merkin Concert Hall, NYC)
- QUARTET SET structures for double reeds, komungo, African drums and didgeridoo (1992/American Music Festival, Berlin)
- DRUM HANDS for 4 hand drummers from Africa, Brazil, Cuba and Puerto Rico & 4 channels of video (1991/No. Miami Museum of Contemporary Art)
- DRUM HANDS An installation for 4 channels of video (1990/No. Miami Museum of Contemporary Art)
- ANDES for 7 Peruvian musicians & a mountain of televisions (1990/Lima, Peru)
- VIOLIN & VIDEO for solo violin & 3 channels of video (1988/Real Art Ways, Hartford)
- 8 MALLETS FOUR BRIAN for solo xylophone & 3 channels of video (1986)
- TOTEM for bass clarinet & 3 channels of video (1986/Walker Art Center, Minneapolis)
- HANDS, REEDS & VIDEO for solo performer & 4 channels of video (1985)
- HIP-HOP A Performance Lecture with slides (1985/New England Artists Conference)
- ESCALATOR for 200 musicians in the multi-level courtyard atrium of Miami-Dade Community College (1983/Miami Dade, Miami)
- PAINTED BRIDE for chamber ensemble in resonant spaces (1982/Painted Bride Art Center)
- NEW ORLEANS for Mukha Veena & 4 channel tape
- YELLOWSPRINGS COLLABORATION for musician & dancer
- MUKHA VEENA for Indian double reed Mukha Veena & 2-4 drummers
- TRIO IMPROVISATIONS for oboe/English horn, violin & percussion
- STAR ISLAND for oboe, participants & stereo tape
- SNARE DRUM for CAMUS (Version II & III) for video & musicians
- IMPROVISATIONS for oboe, English horn and violin
- TO BE ANNOUNCED for 32 voices & 8 channel tape
- SOLO IMPROVISATION for English horn
- WINDBAG An environmental sound installation
- SKY: S for J for five English horns without reeds
- RINGING for amplified antique cymbals
- '... in the bag...' for dancer & live electronics
- 1996 Connecticut Commission on the Arts, Composer Fellowship
- 1996 Meet The Composer: Composer/Choreographer Grant (with Sun Ock Lee).
- 1996 Rockefeller Foundation, Bellagio Center Composition Residency, Italy.
- 1995 Djerassi Foundation, Composer Residency, California.
- 1993-4 Asian Cultural Council for study and research of Japanese traditional music.
- 1993 Foundation For the Needs of Others for Korean Music Right Now Tour.
- 1992 New Zealand-United States Educational Foundation for Asia-Pacific Festival.
- 1992 Millay Colony for the Arts, Composer-In-Residence.
- 1992 iEar Studios, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Artist-In-Residence.
- 1992 Kade Award to commission VIDEO SAX for 5 channels of video & solo sax.
- 1992 New American Radio Commission for WORLD SOUNDPRINTS: Asia.
- 1992 Foundation for Contemporary Performing Arts for NO WORLD IMPROV CD.
- 1991-93 Fulbright Grant for study and research of Korean music and instruments.
- 1988-94 US Fund for American Artists for concerts in Asia, South America & Europe.
- 1988 & 89 Florida Division of Cultural Affairs for contemporary arts activities.
- 1987 & 91 Southeast Media Regional Awards to create new video/music performance.
- 1984 Fromm Music Foundation, to commission new work from Ornette Coleman for the Kronos String Quartet and Joseph Celli.
- Current Studying Korean double reed instruments in Korea and the Japanese hichiricki at the Imperial Court Gagaku.
- 1991-93 Korean Traditional Performing Arts Centre, Seoul, Korea - Fulbright Scholar.
- 1970-72 Northwestern University, Chicago - MM (major in oboe performance/comp).
- 1970 & 71 Oberlin Conservatory, Oberlin, OH. - Performance Seminar for 2 summers
- Private oboe/English horn study with Ray Still (Chicago Symphony), Albert Goltzer (N.Y. Philharmonic), Wayne Rapier (Boston Symphony Orch.), and John Mack (Cleveland Symphony Orch).
- 1962-65 Hartt College of Music, Hartford, CT. - BME
- 1993- Founder/Director, Korean Performing Arts Institute, USA/Seoul.
- 1991- Director, O.O. DISCS, Inc. recording company - contemporary American music.
- 1972- Composer, Videomaker, Performer with performances & premieres throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, North & South America.
- 1972- Arts Consultant, Panelist, for various state arts agencies, NEA, foundations.
- 1989-90 Director of Cultural Programs, Miami-Dade Community College, Miami, FL.
- 1987-89 CEO/Executive Director, New Music America Miami Festival, Miami, FL.
- 1975-86 Executive Director, Real Art Ways, Hartford, CT, contemporary arts center.
- 1972-80 College, university, conservatory, high school teaching.
- Ornette Coleman, Composer, PO Box 106, Canal Street Station, NY, NY 10003
- Robert Browning, Director, World Music Institute, 49 W. 27th St., NY, NY 10012
- Prof. Phill Niblock, Composer/Videomaker, Director, Experimental Intermedia Foundation, 224 Centre St., NY, NY 10003
- David Harrington, Kronos String Quartet, 145 7th St., San Francisco, CA 94122
- The Society for Ethnomusicology - University of Indiana
- Meet The Composer - NYC (Advisory Board)
- American Music Center - NYC (former Board of Directors)
- Composers Forum - NYC (former Board of Directors)
- National Jazz Association - Washington, DC
- Festival International de Louisiane, Programming Advisor, 1991
- Tigertail Productions, Inc. - Miami (former Board of Trustees)