Kalvos & Damian is both historical and new. Get the RSS feed for new content info on|
Noizepunk & Das Krooner, interview transcripts, and K&D: In the House! More info.
Chronicle of the NonPop Revolution
|Listen to this show|
for commentary about Ndakina by the composer in RealAudio 3 format, 2:09. (RA2 / 14.4 version)
for RealAudio 2 version of Conclusion of Ndakina, 1:52.
for RealAudio 3 mono version of Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello first movement, 5:42.
for RealAudio 3 mono version of Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello second movement, 6:52.
for RealAudio 3 mono version of Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello third movement, 5:42.
for TrueSpeech version of Ndakina, 134K.
for MPEG-2 version of Conclusion of Ndakina, 503K.
Eric in Studio A, 2004
Erik Nielsen and his family live in East Randolph, Vermont. Formerly active as singer, conductor, and teacher, he has concentrated his musical attention more exclusively on his first love, writing music. His work October Dream was performed by the Vermont Symphony Orchestra.
Ndakina was produced with a project grant from the Vermont Council on the Arts for a multidisciplinary exhibit celebrating Abenaki life and culture. Erik was the Director of the Consortium of Vermont Composers from 1991-94.
Representative musical compositions:
- First Light (1995). SATB chorus and orchestra, 32 minutes. A five-movement work with texts about the Winter Solstice.
- Layers (1994). Soprano, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion, 36 minutes. A six-song cycle about childhood sexual abuse seen from various perspectives.
- Brief Candle (1994). Elegy for orchestra, 10 minutes.
- Three for Ingrid (1993). Solo clarinet, 13 minutes. Three movements.
- Ave Maris Stella (1993). Brass quintet, 12 minutes. Based on Monteverdi choral setting.
- Yugoslav Journal (1993). SAB chorus, oboe, clarinet, cello, small percussion, 40 minutes.
- Spiritual Alloys (1993). Tuba, vibraphone, 12 minutes.
- Ndakina. Electronic tape, 7 minutes.
- Our Wish This Year is Peace (1992). SATB Chorus, 3 minutes.
- Shades (1992). Alto saxophone, 8 minutes.
- Three Songs for the Earth (1992). SAB chorus, 8 minutes.
- By the Waters of Babylon (1992). SATB chorus, 4 minutes.
- The Eagle (1992). Trumpet, 7 minutes.
- October Dream (1991). Orchestra, 10 minutes. Sound impression of autumn in Vermont.
- Christina's Song (1991). Clarinet and cello, 14 minutes.
- Triple Play (1991). Harpsichord, portative organ, piano, 14 minutes.
- Janus (1990). Cello solo or duo, 11 minutes.
- Mnemosyne (1990). Solo piano, 11 minutes.
- Full Circle (1990). Woodwind quintet, 12 minutes.
- Suite for Orchestra (1990) 15 minutes.
- Quintet for Piano and Strings (1989). Piano and string quartet, 27 minutes. Four movements with interludes in between.
- Musings II (1989) Two celli, 13 minutes.
- Dream Bridge (1988). Mezzo-soprano, piano, 14 minutes.
- August Echoes (1987). Soprano, oboe, viola, piano, 13 minutes.
- Musings (1986). Clarinet, horn, violin, cello, piano, percussion, 12 minutes.
- I Was Glad (1984). SATB chorus, organ, 4 minutes.
- Anamnesis (1982). String quartet, 7 minutes.
Erik Nielsen in 1988
To reach the composer: telephone 802-728-9202
By physical mail: 1266 Northfield Road, Brookfield, Vermont 05036 USA
By email: Contact K&D,